Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Can't sleep, Students will eat me!

Okay, the title is really meaningless other than being a random Simpson's quote (sorry EDMC and TXmommy). In news that should surprise no one, I am far too busy to really update. Yesterday was my first day back to school with students. It is amazing how quickly one can shift back into work mode. I won't lie; I was genuinely dreading the end of summer, but I figured out about 4th period yesterday that I can survive this for four months until Christmas. After that, I may have to take it one day at a time.

Some changes have made my life easier, which has left me conflicted. I honestly believed that the changes were these too-cutesy gimmicks that would be dismal failures, but I begrudgingly implemented them and they are working like magic. Let me give you one quick example (because of the busyness). For the last three years, during our passing periods, our students have had the bad habit of congregating in the halls, causing congestion and keeping even the good kids that are trying to get to class from making it in a timely manner. For three years, I have been coming up to these groups of idle kids and exhorting them to get to class, usually by employing the very creative phrase, "Get to class!" For three years, my efforts have been met by rolled teen-aged eyes and resumed conversations. This year, our administration advised that when encountering this sort of situation, we recite the following poem to the kids, "Walk and Talk, Don't stop and block!" I mean, seriously! Like this will be effective, right? Well, yesterday I decided to be a good little soldier and went to my first group of congregating kids and recite the phrase. They looked at me, giggled (it was a group of girls), and then moved on to class! A fluke, you say? I went to a second group and gave the phrase. Instant dispursal. For two days now I've been reciting this stupid expression and everytime, the kids immediately comply. I am beyond confused, but I'm not going to complain.

Okay, seriously. I have to stop blogging and do some other work before going to bed and getting a decent night sleep.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wade said...

Sounds kinda like hearding cattle!

(Both literally and figuratively, right?)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Snowed In said...

Maybe they're leaving because they don't want to hear what other cheesy phrases middle management has forced the staff to say.

11:02 PM  
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

HA HA HA! LOVE IT! :-) We say "walk and talk" until we're saying it in our sleep when we get home. Perhaps we should add the "don't block" thing to it...

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home