Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Being Mary in a Martha World


At this moment, I am trying to do three things simultaneously. I am updating my blog (yes, a day late), waiting for the delivery of our new sleep number bed, and preparing for my sermon this Sunday at Baker Boulevard CoC. Although the sermon is rough right now, I think it will come out of Luke 10:38-42.

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.

I don't know whether it is my relative lack of busyness with school being out or what, but I have to confess that lately I've been feeling a lot like Martha in my spiritual life. This Sunday is the most recent example, if not the best. Jennifer and I both started Sunday early, as Jennifer had to be at church by 8:30 to rehearse with the praise team and I am teaching one of the Sunday morning classes. Literally as Jennifer was brushing her teeth with one hand to rush to this practice, she was flipping through a binder with the other so that she would be prepared for the children's class she was subbing in. When I got to church, I remembered that the person I had scheduled to prepare the Lord's Supper emailed me and told me that they wouldn't be there, so I went to the kitchen to complete that task. I finsished that with just enough time to set up my classroom before class time. The class itself was fine, but as soon as the "Amen" was said to finish the study, I collected my trusty clipboard and went about finding people to serve during worship. The worship itself (The actual time to be Mary-like, I suppose) was good, but immediately after that it was on to the leadership meeting to debate and discuss what we as a body can DO to serve the Lord. The meeting ended and I had a few hours to prepare for our Home Team meeting and Bible Study.

I'm torn on this issue, I guess. On one hand, I can see the problems inherant in substituting activity for contemplation (how many times can we have the faith vs. works discussion?), but on the other hand, it's not like the activity in question is pointless. What I do, what we all do in the church, is important. It's not like we can all put down the work we have been given to do and just sit in silent reflection over the words of God. Our faith has to have an active component. So how do we balance this?

I think the answer may be an issue of perspective. Perhaps the point is not that we should stop the busyness in our spiritual lives, but rather that we should remember why we take on all this busyness in the first place. The activity that we engage in is not our faith, but it is rather an outcropping of our faith. In other words, the work that we do is not the point, but it is a reflection of the time that we have spent at the feet of Jesus. Perhaps we could use a little more of this time, I suppose, but we shouldn't grow weary of the work we do in response to the love God has shown to us.

3 Comments:

Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

I feel the same way. Sunday I spent almost all day working on VBS, and I sat down that night and thought, "man that was soo much for one thing for church!" Sometimes, especially with children's ministry stuff -- even more so when I was nursery coordinator, I feel like I'm always on the go and never sit to have time with God. Part of it is the inability to push tasks I need to do out of my mind. I need to work on that. It's Satan using the Lord's work against me.

I hear people say, "I've paid my dues, I'm tired, I've done enough, it's someone else's turn" about service in the church. Never do I want to be like that. There'a always something for everyone to do -- changing what you do and not always doing the same job helps with that I think. While it's important to be Mary, there's a need for Martha's in the church. Or rather there's a need for balance of the two.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

Just as God gave the Jews the Sabbath to rest and focus upon him, I think he encourages the same idea out of us. We do have to find a healthy balance but it's hard.

I have definitely seen and experienced both extremes as all of you have. I have worked worked worked in the church and never really thought about what I was doing. At the same time I have been super lazy and not contributed at times and that's not good either. We have to find a balance but we definitely have to find time to rest in the middle of the balance.

I think our tendency to place hard-work as a virtue leads us to think that practicing our own Sabbath is wrong. But it's not. God himself rested, as we see at the end of the creation narrative. We should not be ashamed to rest, as long as we are spending that time with God.

8:23 PM  
Blogger january embers said...

I agree that perspective can be the answer, but like many it is difficult for me to find that perspective in this busy, Martha world. The other day I worked a 12 hour day (due to my own poor planning - don't feel bad for me) and on the drive home I heard the song, "Word of God Speak" sung by Mercy Me. The chorus just really soaked me to the core and for a brief moment on 121 North, I gained a little rest and hopefully a little perspective:

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home