Monday, April 30, 2007

Why a good nights sleep is important

So, today started out interestingly. I woke up late because yesterday I took a mid afternoon nap and therefore wasn't tired enough to fall asleep until midnight. In the midst of rushing to get to work this morning, I got dressed without adequately checking my clothing. Usually this just results in mismatched socks or a tie that clashes with my shirt. Today, it resulted in putting on a pair of pants with a rip that extended from approximately my right hip to my left shoelace. Seriously, there is no describing how bad this rip was in any language that would do it justice. I can not explain, either, why it wasn't until 7:50, 15 minutes before students walk in my classroom, when I finally discovered the rip. I found ten safety pins to put my clothes back together, but that only lasted until the first time I sat down (which was approximately 10 minutes after my students came into class). My pants literally began to disintegrate! I survived without major exposure (largely because I hid behind my desk for the first 3 periods). I am eternally thankful for Jennifer who bailed me out.

In other news, I have found a couple of interesting links for the comic book geeks in my audience. Check these out if you get a chance:


Comics should be good! - A weekly updated site that lists various comic book myths. An interesting examination of some of the more obscure parts of comic book history.


Comics Make No Sense - This site appears to largely be a chance to make fun of the Fantastic Four, but it is pretty funny and it is updated nearly everyday.


Living Between Wednesdays - This is the blog that I would write if I were a 26 year old Canadian girl. It is updated more often than mine, and hers contains some great and witty comics observations.


Last new business for the day: Wade is always making these great questions of the week that I am a little envious of, so I thought I would throw one out there. Several of you have heard that the only big fight that Jennifer and I have really ever had in our marriage is over the thermostat in our home. You see, I prefer things a little chilly, and Jennifer likes to not pay $300.00 a month on our electrical bill. It is still true that this is the only major fight we have had, but I discovered a new difference between us. The picture is my current desktop background. It may be some undiagnosed ADD on my part, but my background changes at least monthly, often times more frequently. A few weeks ago, quite innocently on my part, I changed Jennifer's desktop background to something I thought was cute. The response I received from Jennifer was not exactly a sign of gratitude. It turns out that Jennifer has a fanatical loyalty to the "bliss" default background that most people reserve for charismatic cult leaders and Diet Coke. In her own words, I moved her cheese. So my question is, how often do you change your desktop background? And what background are you using right now for your desktop?

6 Comments:

Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

I change very rarely. On my computer at work, where I spend most of the time, I have no picture, just a plain blue background. I've worked at this job since Nov 2004, and it is probably the same day one. At the job I had before this, the background was the same as I use now. At the job before that, I think it was a different shade of blue.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Adam Barnett said...

hi there! thanks for the shoutout!

I actually pick on more than the FF - I go through an entire series before moving onto a new one (I spent my early days picking on DC Comics Presents and the Detroit-era JLA). Once I'm finished with the FF, I plan on assaulting the Legion of Super-Heroes! yay!

Thanks again!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Wade said...

Ooooo! Good question!

I had the same photo of Kelly and I up for almost 2 years but now she and I both change out photos of Tate on a pretty regular basis.

I wonder if there is some kind of rule about guys having too many pictures of their kids on their computers - if so, I hereby declare that rule stupid.

You can't beat kid photos on desktops!

Oh yeah, I'm sorry to hear about your wardrobe malfunction - but it makes for a great story!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

I change every time there is a new cute picture of Maddie that we take. So I change every couple of weeks.

And there if there is one thing that I don't mind spending money on it is electricity. Jill and I like to be comfortable in our own house and so if that means turning the A/C up, so be it. My comfort in my own home is worth it. Sorry Jen, but I gotta side with Paul.

9:28 AM  
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

I change mine about once a week or more. It's typically a new cute picture of my child, Sprinkles, or a new one of Katelyn (and lately Joshua). Right now though it's the logo for Dumbledore's Army whose headquarters can be found here: http://joindumbledoresarmy.warnerbros.com/. :-)

1:41 PM  
Blogger txmommy34 said...

While my background should probably be a pic of Joshua, it has been a digital valentine that Katelyn & I made. Three pictures: pointing to her eye, hands over her heart, and pointing t the camera. Translation: I love you! It makes me smile every time I start up my computer and she loves to "read" it, so I probably won't change it anytime soon.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home