Monday, February 26, 2007

Is that the smell of desperation?

So, the 4th six weeks ended on Friday and my grades are due this afternoon. Because I am either a compassionate person or a glutton for punishment, I showed my students their grades and offered to let them come in after school today to make up work (despite my steadfast promise that I wasn't going to allow make up work). So, yeah, I am anchored to my desk for the forseeable future while kids work.
As most of you know, I am a fan of the way in which Joanna does this whole blog thing, especially her insistance on always having a picture. The problem is that I don't have many good pictures on my laptop, and the ones I do are either of you, my friends, or the cats. So, here is a cat picture. It is not only a cat picture, but a picture of the clean bed Jennifer and I wish we had. You see, we have the bed part down, but not so much the clean part.
How do we go from a nice clean bed to the vertical surface to stack clothes on that we have now? How do my students go from intelligent motivated learners to bleary-eyed little dears praying that they can find that one last assignment they were supposed to turn in three weeks ago? It has every thing to do with persistance and never growing tired of good work.
I and Bryan have just finished our class on confession and the principle is the same. I go along doing what I ought, and then just one night of being too tired to do what is right, one moment where it is easier to give in to sin then resist it, and it seems all is lost. I didn't decide to one day dump laundry on my nice clean bed. It started with one morning being in too much of a rush to make the bed, and then I thought as long as the bed isn't made it wouldn't be too wrong to throw my jacket on the bed, and before you know it, I'm sleeping on the couch for want of space.
Let's look after the little things before they become the big things.

2 Comments:

Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

The smell of desperation is strong in my classroom right now, but it seems to be coming from me... I've got so much I've let build up the last few weeks, and so I'll be up here tonight. I think I'm going to go home and get dinner and Sprinkles and then come back to work. If I stay late today I can actually breathe for the rest of the week...maybe. Good luck staying late with your kiddos tonight!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to congratulate you on making it through February! In my experience, it was always the hardest month as a teacher. Now, you're on to bigger and better things... like Spring Break!
JillB

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home