Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Because you demanded it!

I'm back. That's the fun part of the English language. "You" is plural, as in "All of you demanded that I update", but it can also be singular, like "None of you cared that I hadn't updated except for you, Joanna." Thanks for the kick in the butt, J.

It honestly wasn't that I was waiting for someone to comment on the Spring Break home (although the envy is nice), I have just been simultaneously busy beyond belief and bored beyond comprehension. In other words, tons has been going on, but nothing worth blogging about.

That all changed last night, as Jennifer and I got to enjoy what we entitled, "the date of juxtaposition!" As some of you know, I am at least a little but of a professional wrestling fan (although not as much of a wrestling fan as I am a comic book fan). Jennifer very sweetly found out that WWE's Monday Night RAW was coming to the American Airlines Center last night and bought tickets for us (yes, she even went herself). Before the opening bell, however, we decided to "grab some food". I put that in quotes, because the hope really was that we would find someplace quick, easy, and cheap, yet still "date-worthy", for food. However, we both really wanted to try someplace that we hadn't eaten at before. That led us to Pappa's Steak House, which was neither quick, nor easy, nor (and let me emphasize this) cheap. We were magically transported to a swanky 1940's era resturant where all the waitstaff wear tuxedo's and they look down on you for not wearing one as well. The food was good, but let me just say that I haven't spent this much at a resturant without having meat served to me on swords.

From the hoity-toity resturant, we made our way to the American Airlines center for RAW. The juxtaposition didn't really hit me until we finally found our spot in the parking garage. We were a little early, so Jennifer and I sat in the car making small talk, not noticing the truck that pulled up beside us. We did, however, notice when the driver got out and proceeded to relieve himself on his own front tire.

Attempting to erase that image from our minds, we made our way in to the AAC. The wrestling was good, although I'm getting too old to deal with hyperactive teenage girls screaming their undying love for disinterested WWE superstars and fat balding guys on their third jumbo cup of beer.

What was interesting to me at the event was a sequence involving, oddly enough, Vince McMahon and Donald Trump. Apparently they are trying to feign a feud in the vein of Donald and Rosie, and last night that manifested itself in Donald Trump dumping a bunch of money on the crowd. If you watched the show (and honestly, why would you have?) you would have seen excited fans showing their newly acquired $100's, $50's, and $20's. In one of my more philosophical moments of the night, I watched this crowd pushing and shoving each other, all dignity and self restraint lost in the hope of an unearned dollar. I saw how excited little kids were as they picked up these little green pieces of paper, and I wondered what the money would be spent on. Would what they bought bring them as much joy as this unearned gift? After it faded, or spoiled, or was consumed, would they reflect back on the person they had acted rudely towards to get it?

We've been given an unearned gift as well. Not money that brings momentary happiness and is then lost, but an eternal home purchased with the blood of Christ. We don't have to push and fight against others for this gift, because it is free to all. Why aren't we holding this gift up for all to see, smiling like an idiot because our good fortune?

9 Comments:

Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

You mean the Pappas servers weren't wearing their Outsiders t-shirts like panchos with the sleeves and sides cut out?

I bet you guys were the only people in the metroplex last night who were at both Pappas and RAW is JERICHO. In fact, you may be the only people in the history of Dallas to go follow Pappas with professional wrestling.

While watching the NHL All-Star game on my television, I saw Edge in the crowd. Was he at Monday Night Jerico?

3:21 PM  
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

Wow. I wish someone would dump money on me. I wish my principal would get in a feud with Trump, so maybe he'd put money in the air ducts. :-D

Pappas, eh? So I'm thinking that's not a place on my list.

3:43 PM  
Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:39 PM  
Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

Math-chica, why no to Pappas? I've heard it's really good, if you can get by the lack of swords, that is. What is your list?

4:40 PM  
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

ha! My list right now excludes things that cost as much as meat on a stick and do not have swords. :-) Now if I had a date -- I could rethink my list. :-D

8:15 AM  
Blogger Phylemon said...

Edge was a part of RAW, although a losing part. Honestly, Pappa's was not worth the money. The ambiance was great, but the food was just average, especially for the money.

8:52 AM  
Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

Phylemon, as a service to your readers you should visit then rank all the Pappas resteraunts chains in the metroplex. You've got the steak one done, it should get cheaper from there.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Secret confession here...I used to be way into wrestling. Does anyone remember the VonErichs? I had a serious crush!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Phylemon said...

Kelly,

That may be the best thing I've heard all day. No one can blame you for the Von Eric crush, they were handsome men.

Next time RAW's in town, I'm taking you. Jennifer fell asleep on me far too quickly.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home