Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Some Random Topics

Okay, I lied. I told you that as soon as I was done with TAKS that I would have a, "much more thoughtful post" for you, but it turns out that there is very little going on upstairs right now. The honest truth is that I am tired and counting the days until school is over, and will be beyond busy until then.


This Friday, my students will be going on their big annual field trip to Ripley's Believe it or Not! / Palace of Wax. Of course, annual is a relative term since this is the first time in three years that my students have managed to stay out of trouble long enough for them to keep their field trip. I'm sure it didn't slip your attention, but we are going to one of my favorite places in the metroplex (which is why several of you have been forced to go at one point or another). Ripley's was, of course, my idea, and this was my first opportunity to organize a field trip. Let me tell you, it is a lot more effort than I thought it would be. Currently I'm torn about whether or not I will volunteer to head this thing up in the future. Part of me thinks that it would be alot easier in the future because I know what pitfalls to avoid. Another part of me is tired of getting the blame for the trip not being perfect and none of the credit for pulling it off. It's a little bit of a thankless job.


Of course, I could have the decision taken out of my hands if a certain high school in Lewisville would get off of their duff and fire a Social Studies teacher and make an opening for me. Last week I went to the LISD job fair and had a positive experience overall. One interview went exceptionally well, but the campus unfortunately wasn't hiring my content area at the time. There are still a few weeks until most people who won't return next year make that fact official, so be praying that God opens a door for me in Lewisville if that is his will. I've been impressed with what I see in the district, and feel that I have a tremendous amount to offer as well. Plus, exchanging my 45 minute commute for a 10 minute one would ease my stress levels a bunch.


Last little comment in my stream-of-conscious post: Are you watching Drive on FOX? If you aren't, you should be. It has Nathan Fillion, for those of you who enjoyed him in Firefly, and it has a lot of the Lost vibe of things going on behind the scenes that you try to figure out with the characters. Also, it is about this super secret, cross country race, which gives it some of the feel of Amazing Race. So in other words, it has everything you could want in a one hour show on Mondays at 7:00 (It doesn't even conflict with Heroes). If you have missed some episodes you can catch them here. Just scroll to the bottom where it says "Drive on Demand.

2 Comments:

Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

I'm not sure Lost meets Cannon Ball Run is a good concept.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - a Cannon Ball Run reference! Not what I thought I would find when I read here....

As a chaperone on Friday's field trip, I have to say that it went quite well. The kids had a good time, although I think they should have read much more at the exhibits. Lunch at a park was a fantastic idea and gave them just enough freedom to feel like they were on vacation for a couple of hours.

I must concur with Paul on Drive. It has all the mystery of the first season of Lost and the added bonus of a conglomeration of actors from prematurely canceled Fox shows!

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home