Tuesday, September 25, 2007

R.I.P.


Yeah, it's going to be that kind of post. As most of you know by now, I came home from work one week ago today and found that Booger had passed away. All I can think is that I am this big guy; I've literally moved a couch by myself, and an eerily still ball of fur can break me down in ways that I could never imagine and can't easily get past.

The loss of a pet is an interesting thing. You can't really take time to grieve, because no job has a policy on how many days you get off for the death of your animal (Does it even count as a death in the family?), and it may just be me, but it feels odd to ask for prayers like you would if your grandmother died (although in truth I was closer to Booger than I was with any of my grand parents).

I've realized one thing through this experience, however. I'm ruining a communion thought here (I'm sorry for those of you who will here this again in a couple of weeks), but that Wednesday after Booger died was so hard. No one at my work cared; my students actually laughed when I told them about my loss. I didn't bother telling people at the comic book shop. It was only when I got to church that night that I could really express my grief. It is only at church where there were people who would mourn with me (regardless of their personal feelings about Booger in particular or cats in general). I think so often we come to church and we try to leave all of our cares at the door and put on our happy faces, but what I have realized is that church is the only place where we can come with all of our baggage, all of our pain, all of our sin, and find people who will share the burden and a God who will give us strength and healing.

Thank you guys for being there for me. I love you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Snowed In said...

I'm really sorry to hear about Booger. Apparently not many people remember what it is like to go through losing a pet. Or care, or something. That grief is real, and it won't dissipate just because other people are insensitive so-and-sos.

As for me, I was probably somewhat ambivalent about Booger. Cats are enjoyable sometimes, but Booger certainly earned his name and occasionally felt the need to remind me of this. But at least I wasn't as trigger-happy with the spray bottle during Dessert Nights as others were. Anyway, that doesn't mean he won't be missed.

But you hit on a great point. Church is supposed to be a place where we can be real with each other. And Christians in general do a truly lousy job of it. It really makes me appreciate my Christian family, be it at my congregation now or in college.

Anyway, I'm rambling. You and Jen will be in our thoughts and prayers.

p.s. Your students are middle-schoolers, aren't they? I think jerkiness is hard-wired at that age...

1:10 PM  
Blogger Wade said...

So sorry to hear about your loss . . .

No doubt that I too will curl up in a corner and cry like a child when Kelly and I lose Macy.

Glad you found a shoulder to cry on at church. I've left many a snot trail on many a shoulder up there myself.

Take care,

W

4:51 PM  
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

Paul and Jenn -- so sorry for your loss. I'd have a hard time going on if I lost Sprinkles, and I've only had him for a little over a year. I can't imagine how I'll feel losing him when I've had him as long as you've had Booger. I agree with snowed in that kids are jerks at times... I pray you find comfort.

Wade -- EWWWWW! Snot trail?

8:44 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Emery said...

/hugs, bro. Don't be ashamed of having strong feelings toward a pet. Booger was a part of your family and I'm sure he'll be missed.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,

I'm going to use the "anonymous" option and see if I can post blogs that way. So if this works, then this is Don Bell.

I know that you have been with Booger (a phrase that I never thought I would use) for quite a long time--dating back even to your abilene days. I think you had Booger longer than I had any of my ferrets too. That's a long time to form a strong bond with a pet, and you guys really loved your cats. So it makes a lot of sense that you would feel so broken when this happened.

Just so you know, though, you guys will be remembered in prayer.

--Don & Melisss

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home