Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fine, I Surrender!!

One of the things I have been most proud about with my blogging is that my blogs were a place where anyone could come and freely post their ideas. That was until the recent assault by Spammers.

In all honesty, I have never felt more violated than I have felt in the last couple of weeks when my email will notify me that someone has cared enough to post a message on my blog, only to discover that the message is nothing more than some opportunistic piece of human refuse trying to sell my loyal readers a sex product or force those same readers to download spyware. I'd like to think that I am a fairly accepting, even loving, individual, but for the life of me I don't understand how people that post things like that have the temerity to wake up in the morning and look at themselves in the morning. They are the very dregs of society, and it makes me indescribably unhappy that they breathe the same air as real human beings.

Okay, enough venting. The point of this post is to tell you that even though it saddens me deeply, I feel that I have no other choice but to activate all of the comment moderation features blogspot offers to prevent spammers. I will now have to approve all comments that are posted, and it also means the dreaded (by me at least) word verification system:


It is my hope that you can understand the need for these steps and that you will continue to visit and comment when you get a chance. Thanks, guys.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wade said...

What's the deal? I got hit this week by a Brazilian laptop webpage! It would have been one thing if it were a Japanese laptop webpage - at least we know they've got quality electronics. But laptops from Brazil? I dunno.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Riss said...

Spam Sucks!!! Hope you've had a relaxing spring break. See you Sunday.

10:29 PM  
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

Boo on word verification! Guess this means no more comments from moi. ;-)

12:33 AM  
Blogger Snowed In said...

Y'know, word verification without comment approval would work almost as well...plus, it would eliminate the did-my-comment-go-through confusion. (I've tried to comment on this article before, apparently without success...)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Phylemon said...

That's a fair point, Dave, but it would also work the other way, moderation without verification, which would save what, to me, is the bigger pain of not being able to tell if that little squiggle is an h or an n. I have to give this more thought.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home